Wednesday 19 January 2011

Fairies and Snow


A fresh layer of snow is covering my little corner of the world today, fluffy and beautifully white.  The sky was glowing pink last night, and this morning the trees were straight out of a fairy tale. 

I've had fairies on my mind these past few days, while I am reading this great novel, The Forgotten Garden, by Kate Morton. It is the story of a four-year-old English girl abandonned on a wharf in Australia, and the journey of her grand-daughter, ninety years later, to unravel the mystery and find out who that child really was.  Her starting point is a fairy tales book which belonged to her grand-mother, and with it we travel back in time, and from Australia to Cornwall.

It might be the best new winter reading I've had in a long time.  For some reason, I tend to re-read my favorite books in winter: Girl with a Pear Earring, I Capture the Castle, Frozen Music, Emily of New Moon, Quelque chose à l'intérieur.  Their long-time acquaintance keeps me warm and comfy during the cold days.
  
I might come back tomorrow with a report on my crafting activities - or lack thereof.  In the meantime, I keep looking for traces of my own fairies,  little blue-feathered, peanut-eating fairies...

No comments:

Post a Comment