Sunday 12 July 2009

Almost Ruby


So, this is my version of the Ruby Doll. It took me a while to finish it because I must admit that my first attempt was close to a disaster. I may have overestimated my abilities with a sewing machine, and some details of the pattern just did not feel right to me, nothing wrong with the pattern itself, I just felt I needed to make a few changes to be happy with the result. I always do it anyway, no matter how hard I try to stick to the original thing.

So, I widened the legs and arms, and slightly changed the shape of the head, the feet, and the lower part of the body. And I mostly sewed it by hand, which helped me get a more controlled result! I played with textures a little, choosing linens over cotton and giving her laced suede boots, which I think are kinda cool.



Now she's gone play with her older friend, Lily-Couette (which I made a while ago with Alicia Paulson's Nutcracker Doll Pattern found in her book Stitched In Time). I'll have to think of a name for her, or ask my sister to come up with something, she's good at it!

Now, off to another week in the office before I can have time to work on a new project...

Sylvie

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I just love her! Those boots are great. I too have a hard time sticking to the original, I think your changes make her very distinct. The head scarf is really cute. The names that popped into my mind were: Lisette, Sasha, and Justine. Don't know why:)
    Older friend Lily is lovely too!

    ReplyDelete